The Veeva Vault API provides programmatic access to Vault information and functionality using a simple, powerful, and secure application programming interface.
The API lets you harness the power of Veeva Vault directly in an application or website. The API provides methods to read and write to Veeva Vault securely, so your application can import, update and retrieve their files. It respects all the same business rules and security model as if you were in the Vault UI directly.
The API can be used to develop custom applications, custom integrations, or to develop higher level tools such as data loaders of schema visualization.
The Veeva Vault API is a REST – based API available in either JSON or XML formats. The guiding principles of the API are:
- Learnable – The API aims to be intuitive and easy to learn. It should incorporate elements of REST, making access to these actions consistent and intuitive.
- Secure – Access through the API will always be authenticated over SSL and in compliance with the access permissions of the authenticated user.
- Efficient – The API strives to be efficient in how it processes requests. Large amount of bits will need to be processed and the API attempts to minimize any inefficiencies.
- Alignment – The API leverages the same underlying code as the Vault UI. THis means that new versions of the API will reflect new capabilities introduced in new versions of Vault and business logic will be consistent.
Vault strives to make backward compatibility easy when using the API. Each new Vault release consists of two components:
- A new release of the Vault Platform and Applications
- A new version of the Vault API
For example, the v7.0 version of Vault included the General Availability of the v7.0 version of the API.
We maintain support for each API version across releases of Vault. The API is backward compatible in that an application created to work with a given API version will continue to work with that same API version in future Vault releases. However, newly introduced capabilities will not be available in older versions of the API.
The currently available versions of the API documentation are:
|7.0||Current GA Version|
Supported Versions of the API
Vault supports older versions of the API until they are no longer in use by production customers. As of this time, v1.0 has been removed from support, but all other older versions continue to be supported.
Daily API Transaction Limit
For an individual vault, there is a daily limit on API transactions. The default limit is 100,000, but this value is configurable. To change the vault, contact Veeva Support.