Veeva Vault API Documentation
The Veeva Vault API provides programmatic access to Vault information and functionality using a simple, powerful, and secure application programming interface. The API can be used to develop custom applications, custom integrations, or to develop higher level tools such as data loaders of schema visualization. The API provides methods to read and write to Veeva Vault securely, so your application can import, update and retrieve the files and documents. It respects all the same business rules and security model as if you were in the Vault Web UI directly.
The Veeva Vault API is a REST-based API available in either JSON or XML formats. The guiding principles of the API are:
- Learnable – The API aims to be intuitive and easy to learn. It should incorporate elements of REST, making access to these actions consistent and intuitive.
- Secure – Access through the API will always be authenticated over SSL and in compliance with the access permissions of the authenticated user.
- Efficient – The API strives to be efficient in how it processes requests. Large amount of bits will need to be processed and the API attempts to minimize any inefficiencies.
- Alignment – The API leverages the same underlying code as the Vault UI. This means that new versions of the API will reflect new capabilities introduced in new versions of Vault and business logic will be consistent.
Vault strives to make backward compatibility easy when using the API. Each new Vault release consists of two components:
- A new release of the Vault Platform and Applications
- A new version of the Vault API
For example, the v8.0 version of Vault included the General Availability of the v8.0 version of the API.
We maintain support for each API version across releases of Vault. The API is backward compatible in that an application created to work with a given API version will continue to work with that same API version in future Vault releases. However, newly introduced capabilities will not be available in older versions of the API.
Vault supports older versions of the API until they are no longer in use by production customers.
API Transaction Limits
Vault limits the number of API calls that can be made every 5 minutes and every 24 hours. When either of these limits are reached, the API returns an API_LIMIT_EXCEEDED error message and no further calls will be processed until the next 5 minute or 24 hour period begins.
- The default limit every 5 minutes is 1000 or 2000 calls, depending on your vault.
- The default limit every 24 hours is 100,000 calls.
The limits are configured on each individual vault in a domain.
All new features and fixes are documented in the API Release Notes.